Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Childhood Summer

I stumbled upon this image today and it reminded me of the popsicles my Mom used to make us in the summer when we were kids. As many of you know, my mom is a junk food nazi and mere mention of Frosted Flakes would send her into a tantrum. Because of that, there were no Otter-pops in our freezer, but homemade fruit bars. If you had asked me  then I would have said it was torture, but now I see it was love.

This recipe is a bit different from hers, and yes sorry Mom, there is sugar added, but damn they sound good.


























1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh mint
Combine raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries with the lemon juice and mint in a mixing bowl. Mash the berries a bit with the back of a large wooden spoon. Let this mixture sit for about a half hour to macerate.
Meanwhile, combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool for about five minutes, then combine with the berry mixture.
Using a glass measuring cup with a spout, carefully pour the berry mixture into your popsicle molds.
Freeze for six hours. If your popsicles stick to the molds, hold them under warm running water to loosen.
recipe found here

No comments:

Post a Comment