Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I've been bitten

Alight, so I'm sort of always infected with the travel bug, but there's something about these gross overcast July days that make me want to high tail it out of here even more. For several years in a row I found myself on a sandy beach in June and July, usually returning home around this time, to gorgeous Seattle weather. This year however, I'm at a desk, and it's grey outside. Wamp wamp. Not that's I'm complaining about working, because I absolutely love my job, but once in a while my mind slips back to the 15 hour work week, reading books in the sun, planning month-long trips days and thinks, wow.

Will and I have decided to get out of here for a while next winter however, so I'm of course already finding myself hunting around for places to go and stay. I'm not, as many of you know, the plan ahead, book every night traveler, in fact I'm just the opposite. I would much rather show up in a town with nothing but a backpack and hunch than check in on my iphone. But alas, it is nice to have something somewhat arranged for the first few nights somewhere, especially if you've never been there before. If we were planning on going to Thailand, I wouldn't bother, as my poor friend Dana can attest to, when I led her around Bangkok, past prostitutes and ladyboys, at 3 in the morning.

Anyway, back to the point, I've found a website that allows you to search for places to stay, mostly apartments, but some hostels, anywhere in the world, and it's easy to accidently spend an hour on. It's called airbnb, and I highly recommend you check it out if you have any plans to travel in the near future. In the mean time, I'm going to continue mentally planning my trip, and of course, daydreaming of sand and warm weather...


No comments:

Post a Comment