Friday, November 12, 2010

The Local Swig : Bacon Ale

One of the many things my new neighborhood does well is beer. It joys me to no end that you can walk into a coffee shop and find an assortment of local brew on tap. What was once a cold sandwich and a diet coke, lunch suddenly got a little more interesting. Upon stumbling onto such gems as Odin Brewing's Smokey Bacon Ale, I've decided the best way to honor such lovely local creations (aside from downing them of course) would be to blog about them. It's going to be a lot of work and dedication, but I think I can do it. I give you: The Local Swig. My reviews on the local brews that make this city one of the tastiest places to knock one back.

To start things off, I defer to the beer that inspired my new blog subject; bacon ale! Bacon's popularity has taken off lately, appearing in everything from vodka to chocolate, and I'm loving it. I tried Odin Brewing's Smokey Bacon Ale, last night at the Capitol Hill Art Walk with the lovely Dana. This delectable ale was surprisingly not as bacon-y as I would have hoped. Call me a glutton but I was ready for something will a little more greasy-love, and there for was slightly disappointed after my first sip. Upon further investigation however, I decided sipping on 12 ounces of liquid pig might be too much, and maybe settling for a hint is just enough. It's the smokey flavor that really takes the cake, and is most notable. It's a great balance and not too overwhelming, which is nice because I have tried several smokey ales that have gone overboard in the smoke department for my taste. Overall, if you're looking for a beer that satisfies your bacon craving, you may want to keep hunting, but if you're in the mood for a dark smokey beer on a brisk fall evening, it's got you covered.

If you're on the Hill make sure to stop by either Bluebird or Quinn's Pub to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment